Hamburg – Views of the Schweinemarkt (Pig Market), the New Bourse, the Jungfernstieg, and St. Michael’s Church (late 1840s)
Dating from the late 1840s, these colorful depictions of various architectural landmarks in Hamburg emphasize the contributions of this well-to-do Hanseatic city to the fields of architecture and city planning. Steinstraße (upper left), first mentioned in records in 1270, was Hamburg’s first paved street. One side was lined with modern domestic architecture; the other boasted the city’s historic Schweinemarkt (Pig Market), upon whose site a public bath was erected in 1850. The New Bourse (upper right), a brick structure in the Neo-Renaissance style, was built in 1841 on the site of the former Mary Magdalen convent, which was torn down in 1837. Built in the Baroque style, the Church of St. Michael (lower right) was renovated numerous times over the course of centuries. Completed in 1786, its church tower still constitutes a defining element in today’s Hamburg skyline. Named the “Hamburg Michel,” it is one of the city’s prime architectural landmarks. The Resendamm Bridge and the old Jungfernstieg are seen at the lower left. Built on an old dam in 1665, the Jungfernstieg is a stately promenade that is bordered by linden trees and runs parallel to the Alster. The name Jungfernstieg can be translated literally as “maidens’ track.” It derives from the walkway’s reputation as a favorite spot for young female strollers. Illustrated broadsheet (Bilderbogen) by unknown artist, late 1840s.
© Bildarchiv Preußischer Kulturbesitz / Dietmar Katz