The Max Kade Foundation
German Historical Institute gratefully acknowledges the support
of the Max Kade Foundation, New York. The foundation was endowed
by Dr. Max Kade (1882-1967), a native of Schwäbisch Hall, who
immigrated to New York in 1905. After a successful career as a pharmaceutical
researcher and entrepreneur, Dr. Kade turned toward philanthropy.
Since 1944, the Max Kade Foundation has promoted the study of both
German and German-American history, and has worked more generally
to increase understanding between the people of Germany and the
United States. The foundation has funded diverse educational initiatives
in both Germany and America.
It has established libraries and centers
for German studies at several universities.
It has also endowed
numerous scholarships, professorships, and exchange programs. The
Max Kade Foundation continues to take a leading role in promoting
German studies and transatlantic exchange through its support of
like German History in Documents and Images (GHDI).