View of the Gendarmenmarkt (1947)
Photograph of the Gendarmenmarkt and the ruins of the French Cathedral. The ruins of the German Cathedral can be seen in the background. The German Cathedral, formerly called the New or German Church, was built between 1700 and 1708 according to plans by Martin Grünberg (1655-1707). It served as a place of worship for reformed residents in the Friedrichstadt district in Berlin, whereas the French Cathedral across the square held services for Huguenots, expelled emigrant Protestants from France.
Berlin, 1947. Print from original negative.
© Bildarchiv Preußischer Kulturbesitz