Toppled Columns from the Crown Prince’s Palace (1946)
The remains of toppled columns from the Crown Prince’s Palace, Unter den Linden 3. The Zeughaus [Old Armory] and the cathedral can be seen in the background. The palace was originally built between 1663 and 1669 as the private residence of a royal secretary. In 1733, architect Philipp Gerlach (1679-1748) transformed the building into a city palace for Crown Prince Friedrich (Friedrich II of Prussia). It was later reconstructed and expanded in 1856-57 for Kaiser Friedrich III.
Berlin, 1946. Print from original negative.
© Bildarchiv Preußischer Kulturbesitz