Walter Gropius, Dessau Bauhaus, View from the Southwest (built 1926)
In 1924, when ongoing difficulties with the Thuringian regional government threatened the existence of their Weimar school, the Bauhaus masters looked into relocating. The school eventually moved to the industrial town of Dessau, where Walter Gropius designed a new building. This view shows the now-famous Bauhaus lettering and the glass curtain-wall façade on the building’s street side, behind which the workshops were housed.
Photo: Bauhaus-Archiv Berlin