New Use of the Former Reich Party Rally Grounds in Nuremberg: The General German Automobile Club (ADAC) Hosts an Event on Zeppelin Field (1955)
Between 1935 and 1937, the Zeppelin Grandstand was built on the Reich party rally grounds in Nuremberg. Designed by Albert Speer and modeled on the Pergamon Altar in Greece, the grandstand could seat 50,000 people. After all of the Nazi symbols were removed, the party rally grounds continued to be used after the war. American occupation troops converted the grounds into a "soldier's field" and held military parades there. Various large-scale German civilian events also took place there, including the Norisring automobile race, and, as seen in this photo, events organized by the General German Automobile Club (ADAC). Photo by Liselotte and Armin Orgel-Köhne.
© Bildarchiv Preußischer Kulturbesitz