Anton von Werner, The Unveiling of the Richard Wagner Monument in Berlin (1908)
A statue of composer Richard Wagner (1813-1883) by Gustav Eberlein (1847-1926), one of the most important representatives of the Wilhelmine art establishment, was unveiled on October 1, 1903. Five years later, Prussian court painter Anton von Werner (1843-1915) portrayed the festive ceremony in the painting below. Dressed in his parade uniform, Prince Eitel Friedrich (1883-1942), the second son of Wilhelm II appears at the center of the scene. He greets cosmetics manufacturer Ludwig Leichner, who commissioned the sculpture. Eberlin stands to Leichner's left, along with a group of Berlin artists. The group includes the painter Adolph von Menzel (1815-1905), who gave a celebratory speech on the occasion.
© Bildarchiv Preußischer Kulturbesitz
Original: Berlin, Berlinische Galerie