Beginning in September 1914, nine biannual war bond campaigns in the German Reich yielded a total of 97 billion Marks. A significant part of the bonds’ considerable success was attributable to extensive advertising initiatives, the scope of which expanded with each year of war. In November 1916, a separate information bureau was established to publicize the campaigns. Well-known poster artists were enlisted for the cause, and the new medium of film was put at the service of financing the war. Private individuals also helped advertise the war bonds campaigns.
The photograph below shows Berlin schoolchildren with signs calling for participation in the campaign. The picture was taken in 1917, by which point the campaigns were already being managed professionally.