A Visit to the Krupp Steel Works (c. 1910)
Founded by Friedrich Krupp in 1811, the Krupp steel works was the largest in Germany. In this photograph, workers demonstrate the casting process to a group of factory visitors. The large casting bin, which held molten steel, testifies to the scale of steel production achieved by 1910. The Krupp works, which began specializing in armaments production, provided the cannons used by both the Entente and the Central Powers in the First World War. The firm went on to become the center of German armaments production during World War II.
© Bildarchiv Preußischer Kulturbesitz