The People's House of Culture [Volks-Kulturhaus] in Letschin (July 1, 1953)
Under Soviet occupation and during the early years of the GDR, Kulturhäuser (houses of culture) were established as entertainment, recreational, and educational venues for the masses. Such centers served as meeting places for the local population and frequently housed libraries and theaters. The Kulturhäuser that operated in rural regions were also supposed to function as centers of the new "Socialist villages." Photo by Jochen Moll.