Sign Demarcating the Zonal Borders in Destroyed Berlin (1945)
The zonal borders followed Berlin's district borders. This photograph shows the border between the American-occupied district of Kreuzberg and the Soviet-occupied district of Mitte. At this spot in the vicinity of Potsdamer Platz, the border ran perpendicular to the main street. The ruins of the "Haus Vaterland" (“House of the Fatherland”), which had been converted into a restaurant and entertainment center in the 1920s can be seen in the background. Photographer unknown.