Reichstag Building in Snow (1948)
View from the west towards the snow-covered ruins of the Reichstag. According to the plans of architect Paul Wallot (1841-1912), the inscription above the entryway – “To the German People” – should have already been in place when the building was inaugurated in 1894. It was first approved, however, by Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941) in 1915. The letters were cast by the renowned bronze foundry Loevy in Berlin and were finally attached to the Reichstag in 1916.
Berlin, 1948. Print from original negative.